If you want to build ADUs (additional dwelling units) in your home in LA, you need to follow certain laws and fulfill some requirements. These can be detached, attached, or converted from an existing space, but they cannot be considered separate Los Angeles real estate.
Detached ADUs are additional rooms that are added to a home. Detached ones are standalone buildings that are built on the owner’s property, while conversions are transformations of existing spaces such as a basement or garage into a living space.
Garage conversions are more popular with homeowners because they are easier to manage than other ADUs. While each one has to comply with some requirements pre-construction, these ones don’t have as much. So before transforming your garage into a game room or an extra bedroom, keep these conditions in mind:
- The garage should be at least 10 feet away from the main house to qualify as an ADU. If you live in Culver City, it has to be about 8 feet from your home.
- The company that is responsible for power lines in Los Angeles, namely LADWP, will not allow a conversion if it is under high voltage lines. The main concern will be the power lines that run at the top of the power pole and not those that go over your garage.
- Only homes that are located in residential areas or zones are allowed to build AUDs on their property. Find out if your qualifies.
- There can only be one ADU per property, even if you have space for more.
- The converted garage or ADU cannot be sold as separate Los Angeles real estate.
- You can rent out the house and ADU separately or at the same time.
- The converted garage cannot be larger than the house. At most, it can be about 150 square feet in size.
- At least one parking space should be placed on the property, and it can be located anywhere, such as the driveway.
Allow Pezzini Luxury Homes to Help
Whether you are looking for a new home in LA or Los Angeles real estate to invest in, Pezzini Luxury Homes can help. We are the premier source for real estate services not only in LA but also for Beverley Hills, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, and more.
Before investing in any real estate, you need to know about current market values so you can make an informed decision. Our experienced realtors can update you on that information so you can make an educated guess about the price you should ask for. Call us for a consultation today!