Selling a luxury home in LA may seem glamorous, with no shortage of reality television programs highlighting the sparkling real estate market in the City of Angels.
The fact is, though, that the hefty price tag on many LA-area homes can be difficult to navigate. From the finite space in the crowded hills that makes home improvements and renovations difficult to manage to the threat of natural disasters, such as earthquakes and forest fires, buyers may take some extra persuasion to convince that all of those zeroes attached to the price tag of a luxury home in LA are being invested wisely.
As such, there are a number of important tips that you should keep in mind when putting a luxury property on the market in LA.
Highlight Any Features That Facilitate Hosting
While there is an abundance of reality television highlighting the LA real estate market, it pales in comparison to the lore that surrounds LA social life. The lavish LA lifestyle has even had an entire television series, such as Entourage and Californication, that prominently feature this topic.
Although it may be unlikely that you sell your home to a hard-partying rock star or eccentric Hollywood actor, the truth remains that anyone taking the time to invest in a luxury home in LA, especially in the Beverly Hills or Bel-Air areas, is going to want to show it off as much as possible.
Therefore, any features that make entertaining guests more convenient should be a primary point of focus when listing a house in LA. Some features that your home may include to help in this regard are:
- Large, oversize windows and bright surfaces that allow for the flow of natural light and create a pleasant, inviting atmosphere
- Quartz or white solid surface countertops that are nonporous and durable, minimizing damage, staining, and make for easy cleanup following parties
- Durable flooring materials that can handle heavy foot traffic and will require minimal upkeep and few replacements
- Convenient access from your home’s interior to any backyard features, such as an inviting deck, patio, or pool, that can help add to the usable space of your property and allow for additional guests
- Innovative driveways that will not harbor puddles during storms and/or develop ruts due to heavy car traffic
Spotlight Any Energy-Efficient Features of the Home
You may be thinking that anyone who can afford a luxury home in LA will not be losing any sleep over the utility bill. While this may or may not be true, the mindset in America’s cultural epicenters is one of societal and environmental cialis online consciousness, so anything that sets your home apart as environmentally friendly can actually be very appealing to those looking to buy in LA.
When considering that temperatures are known to get very hot in LA and that luxury homes come with significant square footage, “green” houses in the LA-area can significantly lower carbon outputs when compared to their inefficient peers.
Features to highlight in regards to energy efficiency include:
- Superior framing and roof insulation
- Solar panels or any other form of renewable energy
- Energy Star rated appliances and HVAC systems
- Motion detected lights and electric accessories
Emphasize Fire-Resistant Properties
In recent years, it has seemed like California has been perpetually on fire. With heartbreaking footage all across the national news and social media, as well as the humanitarian efforts to help those in need, buyers are likely going to be hesitant to drop seven figures or more on a house that seems likely to go up in smoke.
Therefore, you should be quick to point out any of the features that will give the home the best chance of minimizing damage in the face of a wildfire. Some innovative, fire-resistant features are:
- Insulated concrete framing in place of traditional wood frames
- Rustic house siding, such as fiber cement, that repels fire
- Synthetic roofing shingles that are fabricated to resist fires
Invest in Improvements to Wow During the Showing
A major factor in buying a luxury home in LA is the experience of going around to the breathtaking open houses until you find the perfect match.
As such, staging your home should be given higher priority in LA than other parts of the country, as open houses are going to draw many guests. Any renovations that can make the open house experience more enjoyable, such as redesigning the interior furniture or installing new kitchen surfaces, could prove very lucrative.
One particular idea specific to LA is to get some custom handrails for your property. As many of the homes built into the hills rest on retaining walls, there is a strong likelihood that stairs lead to your front door. Rather than using basic Lowes metal handrails for steps, have something customized with a little more style that will make a strong first impression on those entering your home.
Matt Lee is the owner of the Innovative Building Materials blog and a content writer for the building materials industry. He is focused on helping fellow homeowners, contractors, and architects discover materials and methods of construction that save money, improve energy efficiency, and increase property value.